Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Back on the chain gang

Well, the long summer holiday is well and truly over. It really is one of the wonderful things about teaching. As my avatar suggests, I'm a night person and I had six glorious weeks of getting to bed at 4 am. Now I pay the price, up at 5.30, to work by 7 and perpetual sleep deprivation.

There's one interesting addition to the staff this year, an absolutely gorgeous young guy who I think is more than likely gay. The soft spoken gentle manner, the shaved legs, the suburb he lives in... who knows. It's funny, his manner is quite like mine before I started teaching and hardened up my manner. It shows how things have changed that you wouldn't think about doing that now. If he is gay, it will be an interesting conversation with him about how out he will be with students, for they will surely ask. I really hope he is, if only for the effect on the bimbo female students who will fawn over him. This will be one for all the gay boy students.

One thing I've been thinking about is school uniform and the purpose they serve. The start of every school year involves a crackdown on uniform and it's always interesting to listen to the passion of so many staff over this issue, particularly from older staff, from teachers who are parents. Now certainly a big reason we have a uniform is community perception. We live in a competitive system in which schools are forced to fight for students. "Market forces" - it's crazy, but that's another story. The popular perception is that uniforms are associated with strict dscipline and academic success. That's what parents want, so we have no choice. There is also the need to enforce compliance, if we crack down hard on uniform we win on all the other things, so the argument goes. Kind of a zero tolerance approach. Frankly, I think there are more important issues to stress over, but I'm in the minority.

 But I'm convinced one of the big reasons, especially for the middle-aged mothers on staff is the need to desexualise students. So much of their attitude to students reflects their concerns and fears about their own children, and this is never more obvious when you listen to them talk about uniform. When singlets were part of the sport uniform you should have heard their complaints. Any attempt to show a little more flesh, like rolling up the sleeves or shorts,  always provokes outrage. Visible piercings, too. I think boys who sag look silly, they treat it like the end of civilisation as we know it. Girls who flaunt their bust or wear their skirts too high always get a bigger response than other infractions. For many parents the age of the internet and mass marketed sexuality has led to a profound fear of the loss of control of their children's sexuality. Like in so many areas, the protective urge too often dominates at the expense of supporting their kids to explore life in a healthy way.

5 comments:

  1. Billy you certainly had a wide range of weather to deal with on your break - did you cop the wild storms over the weekend.
    I'm a bit of a night owl myself - from August to December I usually work nights so I find even through the other times of the year if I'm not working for a few days I'll stay up late and ocassionally I'll pull the odd allnighter.
    School uniforms were the bane of my life at Broady High but I'm glad they weren't as strict in my time - I wore the shirt, tie and shoes but managed to get away with wearing jeans - I often got lectured, but I still managed to get away with it for 5 years.
    Hope the new teacher is gay - just a bit more support for you and any gay students that may need it.
    Take care
    Stef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Billy
    Interesting points about school uniform - the 'corporate image' reinforcing education as just another commodity, when anyone with any concern not only for this generation of students, but for the way the world is heading, should know it's far more important than that, while the 'desexualisation' issue is, as you suggest, more about control and the imposition of an outdated morality than 'protecting children'. I don't know what the age range of your school is, but if it's similar to the 11-18 range of a senior school in the UK, the majority of the students wouldn't, physiologically at least, qualify as 'children' anyway.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just because we had to wear a pretty strictly enforced trad, uniform at school doesn't mean to say kids should today.

    In the odd school here they've actually voted to return to a simplified and more modern uniform - but a uniform never the less.

    Here the wearing of a trad. uniform has all the associations you list - and it's championed by the same (out of date?) people.

    Anyway - I'm certainly hoping you have a new gay colleague too - it could be a really nice situation if you became friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm ok with the idea of a school uniform, however, most of them are just plain silly looking. Blazers with crests on their pockets? Please! I know in Japan that some students pick that high school based on their uniforms.

    Why is it so scary for adults to realize that teens are sexual beings? They have desires just like adults do? I can understand not allowing the girls skirts to show the good china, but if covering them up to desexualize them, the middle east has a wonderful invention, a burka. Covers all, removes any hint of shape of the girl beneath it.

    LOL! You have the same time clock as i do! Im happiest going to bed rather early....cause 4 am is early yeah? Early in the morning! LOL Its very hard to get the clock turned back around, and the suffering is horrid.

    And thanks for posting that song, I had totally forgotten it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Germany, where I went to school, school uniforms are rare to non-existant. My cousins in Gloustershire wore uniforms. I always envied them. I think they look hot, even the ones with crests... and esp. the ones with long socks... :P

    But really, I always thought the point of school uniforms was to reduce social differences. In German schools the sort of clothes peeps wear totally show how much money their rents got and stuff. If everybody's got to wear basically the same, it's less obvious. Makes peeps start out more on the same level.

    As for teen sex, lol, yeah well, rents never know what really happens anyway, do they, and the more struct they are, the less they get to know. Prohition only leads to covert deeds, not to no deeds. ^_^

    ReplyDelete