Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The way it works

Well, I've made it through to the Easter Holidays. Here's a work rant, reflecting how intense work has been.

Head of maths they offered me. Ok I said, I'll do it. Let's forget that I'm not actually a maths teacher. Let's forget that everyone else in the department is either old and cynical, young and naive, or just doesn't care.

The first thing I noticed was the different way people talk to you. They are more sociable. Hey, why don't you ignore me like you did before? I think I preferred it that way. All those gen xers caught up with their mortgages and the weddings and their husbands and their kids and their kids soccer training. I don't care. Then they stopped telling me things I need to know, like fuck, it might reflect badly on them, or maybe I'm just supposed to know already. Finally I learnt about passive resistance. You suggest something, everyone nods, smiles and agrees. Then nothing happens. Do you confront them and become the ogre or do you just accept their sad excuses?

(I really am a pussy cat.)

It took a while, but now I understand. It would work - I could work with them, find a way forward to get around the impossible demands of administration, parents, students - but for one thing. They've given me one small piece of power. The power to allocate classes. No more honesty and openness. I can wreck their year so I shouldn't be trusted.

I hate power.

7 comments:

  1. Absolute power corrupts absolutely! Messing with their classes...HAHAHAHAHA...

    Glad you've got some time off, ours starts this Friday. I'm off at noon, but only taking that afternoon and Monday. The rest of the week will be very quiet because everyone I support will be off.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh, it seems like schools are the same nomatter where one goes. I HATE the nodding and smiling in agreement, only to have the suggestions drop into the void where all good ideas go to die.

    I cant imagine that the power would go to your head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't anyone (apart from you) bother about the kids' education any more?

    That ought to be a big enough stick with which to get some action - and if not then perhaps you should do the Principal's job and 'have a little talk about alternatives to teaching' for some of them.

    You know you're a radical really!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Easter Billy - I don't envy you, it's a hard act to bend with the wind and still achieve what you want. I hate confrontation to.
    Sorry I've been a bit slack commenting.
    Regards Stef.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was asked to head my department at Xmas. I considered the extra hassle compared with the laughable increase in salary. I gave it a miss.

    I did the 'leader' thing in my previous life - now I prefer to subvert from within!

    Good luck =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wondering if you were coming back!
    Hate to lose you in the blogworld!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1984 (book by Orwell) says you assert power by making others suffer.

    ReplyDelete