Tuesday, December 14, 2010

After God

With my foreskin as absolute proof of the non-existence of God, my need to understand the world soon saw me embrace science. I devoured kid's science books, my sisters' high school textbooks, encyclopaedias - anything I could lay my hands on. What we see can be explained  rationally, and the best model to explain it is one based on evidence and open to refutation. My path was set.

My new-found zeal had me reduce my Sunday School teacher to tears, something I was to regret as from then on I was wrenched out of bed to attend Morning Prayer at 8.00 every Sunday. I continued to be the dutiful son and pretend as I went through Confirmation at 12. I finally made a stand at 17. The final step to become a Queen's Scout was to discuss your faith with the Minister. I simply could not bring myself to lie, and walked away from Scouting.

Doing well at school and going to university to study science, and become a scientist, so as to escape the little country town I grew in was the dream that sustained me throughout high school. I got to uni and revelled in the intellectual world. There were so many subjects, so little time. I got my degree.

But to pursue a career in science takes total commitment. Being gay didn't really fit with the 7 day weeks and 12 hour days the committed researcher needs to spend. I knew if I were to pursue science, I would not have a (gay) social life. And knew that I would end up totally isolated from humanity and heading towards insanity. So I chose a personal life and dropped out of honours.

As I read of Brody facing similar dilemmas today, I trust that it will be easier for him to get some balance in their life. I really hope he makes it.

Teaching has been a good alternative. Above all it is a human endeavour. It keeps me connected to the human race. It keeps me part of the great cycle of life, denied to us as gay men. Seeing young people grow and mature into fine human beings is a wonderful thing.

Our final year students got their results yesterday and one of my favourite students came in to thank me today. Only a brief conversation, but just seeing the smile on his face was a real pleasure. Moments like that make the job worthwhile. It's me who should be thanking you, Shaheed.

I heard this piece on the radio this morning. Funnily enough I've never been a fan of homeopathy. Although the idea of homeopathic lager explains what I've drunk in a few pubs over the years I think.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have a very pleasant and rewarding career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was totally a little freak for Jesus until two years ago or so. I don't really know what happened, but I just completely dropped it. My response to this post is that I have a kindred who rebelled against the religious machine (yay). But my second response is that you seemed kind of ambitious. However, it is displaced by the actuality of the situation in that you became a school teacher. I guess you just had a zeal for learning.
    I have entertained ideas of becoming a teacher. I've been thinking either that or something medical. I really prefer the teacher thing, but my parents don't agree with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Billy - we have several gay bloggers in our 'circle' of linked blogs who are teachers and you all seem to love it!

    When I think of all the gay guys I've met I guess I can see several reasons why - and the more committed to and accepting of a gay identity then (maybe) the better the teacher.


    And can I just say to Maddy - it's your life and not a second chance for your parents. You must do what you want to do or risk being unhappy simply to please them. Your parents are probably thinking that doctors can generally earn more than teachers but money isn't everything.

    There are plenty of people on more modest means who are happy in the work they do and therefore in their life generally. Money doesn't automatically mean happiness.

    Thanks, Billy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers, Billy. That's a rather thought-provoking post.

    Even though the bulk of my life revolves around science, I feel that science doesn't quite stand in the way of my Messianic Jewish belefs. I see the validity of Messianic Judaism from a legal perspective than a scientific one. For instance, if Jesus puts a pot of water on the stove, we can have at least two reasons why a pot of water is boiling: 1) someone put the water on the stove or 2) the water molecules are energetic enough to boil. I tend to use the first type of answer to deal with my spiritual beliefs. Although, if something is wildly unscientific, then I will definitely consider otherwise.

    @Micky: Maybe being a teacher will be the next gay occupational stereotype like fashion designer and interior decorator lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teaching is a noble profession, and certainly not appreciated enough. If I didn't know it before, I certainly learned it while spending five years working in a high school. Well cool career choice!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Billy,
    ......... WOW, a teacher. It's something I wanted to become as a kid. Unfortunately, I'm not the "brainy" type. After the third grade, my report card became my passport to Hell.

    I went to Catholic schools all the way up to my first year as a Sophomore in high school. It was a grade-point-average struggle all the way. My best subjects were English and art. My worst were math and science. A real girlie boy, I was. In the eighth grade, my IQ score was 107 - bummer !

    I think my biggest problem has been comprehension. I can read OK, but after a couple of paragraphs, I couldn't tell you what I had just read. So I usually go back and try to pull out the details. The devil is always in the details. This has been my primary characteristic in life - - - - - I'M SLOW !
    ....Yet, I managed to do six years as an air traffic controller, and over twenty years as a truck driver; yeah, slow and stupid me.

    Anyhow, enjoy the holidays. I'm now working on a schedule, and it reminds me of why I (or rather my body) decided to retire "early" (at age 62). I loved the French people when they demonstrated against raising the early retirement age from 60 to 62. Here in the United States of Apathy, John Boener, the incoming "Weeper" of the House, suggested that the retirement age here should be raised to age 70. The "Orange Man" wouldn't last five seconds if he said that in France.

    "BRAVO ZULU"
    ................"FOGGY"....................

    ReplyDelete