Thursday, December 9, 2010

Why?

Why am I gay?

A question that doesn't have a definite answer. Homosexuality is a complex social behaviour. Various psychological schools have models which interpret human behaviour in different ways, but none of them begin to suggest where it comes from. How do neurons and the chemical and electrical links between them end up with us doing the things we do? The biological basis of behaviour is a complete mystery.

One thing for certain is that there is very little choice involved. Is it genes? Is it environment? Nature or nurture? Well, I've done enough genetics to know these are false questions. The development of a fertilised egg into an adult depends on complex interactions between environmental stimuli and the shape, structure and sequence of our genes. There is no point talking about separate causes.

All I can do is tell my story.

6 comments:

  1. So you're not saying it's not genetics (nature)?

    That's a bit of a relief quite honestly because I wouldn't like to think what some people would make of it if we said it was nurture for definite.

    Can you imaging what some guys' lives would be like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what would your first definite (first guess--what seems the most likely to you) response to the question be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard for me not to think that at some point, based on some stimuli, that some gene within my switched something on. But who knows. I'd bet we can't claim to know more than .1% about anything human. Hair amounts and distribution. Kissing. Sexuality. All that stuff. Maybe one day we'll understand. Doubt it will be in my lifetime.

    In the meantime, ask me why? Simple reply: SHRUG

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Micky
    It's not definitely one or the other, more a messy mixture of both, and different for everyone. That said...

    @Maddy
    I know I was gay at 5, in the first few weeks of school, when I responded sexually to guys for the first time(see "Cheap Thrills"). People who've done more Psychology than me suggest the Oedipal thing in kindergarten the year before ("In the Beginning") probably had something to do with it. Everything after that just reinforced it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Billy: I too knew when I was less than 10... I had 3 brothers who never liked the easy bake oven as much as I... I had parents that never understood my need to see what GIJoe looked like under his fatigues (while my brothers were stripping Barbies)...

    Genetic? I am guessing so, as we all had similar social and family interactions...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe it's possible to be born gay but also there can be contributing factors on the journey through life that also have a bearing this story about twins is a good indication of the 'born gay' argument.

    http://teenboyissues.blogspot.com/2009/12/sexual-orientation.html

    my own story is not so clear, I have looked for answers (excuses possibly) but it's not that simple, although there have been some weird coincidences between myself and peers.

    ReplyDelete